Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Few Songs to Cover the Gap

Maybe it is better to be honest about our habits and try to work through them than to keep them hidden.

"I've Told Every Little Star" (1961, Linda Scott). It was evidently featured in a David Lynch movie (Mulholland Falls) and is accompanied by clips from his various films.
One thing I will say about David Lynch, unlike many people in the visual entertainment field over the last 20-25 years, he has an eye for good-looking white girls, and a sense for how to bring out some of the latent and sadly underutilized appeal that a lot of us have been missing during that time.

My Lennon Sisters fetish is perhaps getting clinical. I'm going to have to bleed my sentiments until I am purged. Now I've stumbled upon a treasure trove of their really old Laurence Welk appearances from the 50s and early 60s, when they were just little girls and teenagers. The arrangements are better and the performances more poignant than those I've been putting up from the mid to late 60s, when the show began to get really corny and the girls' genuine wholesome good looks and assuring poise were about the only things it had left going for it.

In their early years on the show the girls mostly just stood in a little group on the stage in tasteful but unspectacular dresses and sang, no ridiculous costumes or props or little skits. To be honest the skits from the 50s were not even that bad, were in fact often in keeping with the times, and the program does not appear to have started becoming the paragon of bad taste and total uncoolness that it is famed as now until sometime in the early 60s. This one below for example, from 1959, would not have been far out of place on any music-themed show of the era. (The three older Lennon Sisters only provide backup in this one but at ages 16, 18 & 19 they display the mainstream teen-age girl styles of the day in all their considerable glory).



Linda Scott was good-looking in the matronly way young women sometimes have, where they are twenty-two and good-natured but already have the features and movements of a fifty year-old. I've known a couple of women like that and I remember thinking, not so much at the time but an hour later, or the next day, or the next week, that gosh, that girl was really sexy (followed by, why was/am I so unresponsive to my own instincts in real time?).

No comments: