Friday, March 20, 2020

I Had to Write Something Today Out of Nervous Habit

Even though there is not much else going on, it is not my intention to write an ongoing coronavirus diary here. I had a baseball essay in the works, though I don't feel much like getting on that tonight. I am going to assume at this point that my 10 (soon to be 11) year old son's baseball season will be canceled. This is another bummer because (1) he loves playing baseball right now more than he's probably going to love anything else in all his life, and who knows if that will be the case a year from now, and (2) he's actually a good player, certainly one of the top 5 players in his league, and that is only because he is at the moment still too small to hit with power to deep in the outfield compared to some of the 12 year olds. In terms of skills he might be #1. I was annoyed enough that the year when we finally got a pitcher in the family (with the fourth son) the league instituted a pitch count limit (75, which gets you through about 3 innings and change in this league), and now it looks like we're going to lose a season altogether. Even though they have not given up all hope yet, it of course  increasingly looks like my son's high school graduation and all the accompanying senior year events will be canceled as well, and yesterday there was a story in the New York Times today saying that there may need to be three or four of these type of societal lockdowns due to recurring outbreaks, which means that even if he manages to start college, it sounds there is a likelihood that they won't be able to get through the whole year either, the idea of which had never, I suspect crossed almost anyone's mind until now. I can only hope that all of this will result in some good in the long term (meaning like ten years), that this crisis will finally prompt some reforms and measures both political and economic that are long overdue and that would benefit younger people and the debtor class. I am not optimistic that there will not be some kind of violent upheaval in the interim, with a much larger number of deaths than are predicted even in the worst case virus scenarios. I have no reason for saying this other than that I am not encouraged by the way the current turn of events has been handled thus far. I am sure if this goes on and my mindset does not change it will become clearer to me why this is so than it is now. I am still working my way through to the stage of being resigned to the current grimness.






I don't even have any movies to review because now that everyone is home all the time and they don't have to get up early, the TV is occupied well past midnight every night so I can't watch anything on my list, as, as no one of age to take an interest in them wants to watch them with me anymore.


I do have to find something else to write about though, until I get used to this.

No comments: