Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Unfinished/Abandoned Posts Saved On My Account

1. Post I began writing about my reaction to the Trump election (main point--I didn't vote for him, but the extreme reactions of so many people alarmed me, blah, blah, blah)


2. Post attempting to explain my views on immigration (confession--I would like less of it and to preserve more of the old America and its culture. The developments of the past thirty years have not done much for me.)


3. Post examining why so many people hate college and seemingly want to pressure/shame people likely to be underachievers into not going (always devolves into me trying to justify my own past attendance, which had no measurable value other than that that I [dubiously in the eyes of all my potential evaluators] try to claim it had for my personal development and experience apart from economic benefits, as well as the future attendance of my children, provided of course that they want to go). Quite simply, I conceive of myself and my family as college-going-type people, and not welding or plumbing or whatever other practical pursuit I am supposed to encourage-type people, and I am probably not going to get out of that mindset without a pretty extreme nudge from society saying "no!" which I am probably unlikely to get.


4. Post asking "Is there anything to look forward to in the future?" inspired by an observation I read somewhere on the Prince song "1999" which stated that it was almost impossible to conceive in the present day of an artist anticipating something taking place in the future as being fun. I thought this was an interesting point and concurred that even though people are miserable and bored and unfulfilled in every era, there do seem to have been times in the past--the 1920s, the 1960s, to some extent even the 1940s because of the intensity and purposefulness with which much of day to day life was infused, parts of the 80s and early 90s--where there at least existed the possibility of fun or earthly delights to be had that I do not feel to be the case, for a person like me anyway, in the present, even if I were twenty years younger. But this premise seemed absurd and vulnerable to easy assault--my children's conception of life before 20 years ago is that it must have been stupefyingly boring--so I abandoned it.


In truth, this blog has probably run its course, though I will continue to keep the record of my reading on the other blog. However I still think of myself as the kind of person who writes and who must have something inside me to say even when I don't, so I can't just stop entirely. But I don't really have many thoughts about anything at all. I crave experiences and to travel and to have intelligent interactions with people and I don't know what else I crave, something, but I cannot hold up my end in these pursuits or be persuasive enough to bring these things about so they never happen. And all the regular humdrum things I have to deal with are becoming, I won't say overwhelming, but too relentless, too distracting. And it will probably be a month now before I post again...

1 comment:

Gil Roth said...

Keep going