Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Son Georgie Loves This Song

If I'm going to equal my 113 posts of 2009 I'm going to have to have a few cheapies in there.



96.7 FM in Brattleboro has a geezer hour on Sunday mornings where some ancient guy spins the forgotten and much-maligned popular hits from approximately the '46-'54 era. Most of the songs are truly terrible, though "Buttons and Bows" is I think a rare winner from the period. The DJ put this on last Sunday and then about 20 seconds in had a change of heart and decided he wanted to listen to something else, which choice did not sit well with my 3 year old son, who repeated "I want that song back!" about fifty times, and was not appeased by any of the later selections. I wanted to call the station and put him on to discuss his dissatisfaction with the host personally, which would have been a good encounter. On a side note, these Paleface movies look really bad. I'm not going to claim that I wouldn't have wanted to have sex with Jane Russell, but her film persona is more of the more absurd I have ever seen. One of these big-breasted bombshells that came in after the war was supposed to have an IQ of 175 or something. It may have been Jane Russell, although she doesn't look particularly intellectual in these snippets here.

My father was apparently a fan of Bob Hope, which is inexplicable to me given what I know of both of them, but someone gave him tickets to one of Bob Hope's live comedy shows in Philadelphia sometime in the 60s, and my father said he was really, really funny in that setting. I trust his judgement in matters of humor, so I'll take his word for it.

No comments: