Saturday, July 28, 2007

Anniversary

Thursday was the one year anniversary of the blog. While when I started I envisioned having fans and a generally more global reach, I have since retrenched almost entirely with regard to all ideas of this sort. On June 5 I signed up for the Sitemeter service to see if my page was indeed getting any traffic at all. According to this service it is not; it has recorded zero visits. Before this I did get a comment (in Portuguese) on my Tom Thumb post, which I too thought was one of my better efforts, but it turned out to be directing me to a site where I could buy T-shirts.

This will be my 76th published post, which comes to an average of one article every 4.84 days. The apostrophe/quotation marks button on my home keyboard does not work, which is why there are often strange symbols in places where one would expect to find an apostrophe. I am unfortunately subject at times to strange mood swings, poor concentration and despair, much of which, like a lot of people nowadays, I hack my way through by writing something and putting it on the Internet, to the content of which these afflictions adhere like wet sand. I would only estimate that 30-40% of the material here is of this dreary and hysterical nature however.


Although a fair number of the entries on the site are ostensibly about books and literary matters, I really only use them as jumping off points to write about other things or to pontificate on general subjects. I sometimes peek into works of professional literary/art/film/travel criticism to see if I have gotten anything terribly wrong that anonymous people in cyberspace will be able, with absolute justice, to attack and eviscerate me for if they should happen to stumble on my site, and pretty much everything I come up with falls into this category.


In other words, if you are a very brilliant or serious or learned or mature person, you will probably find nothing here that is capable of pleasing you.


If you are 50-85% of one of these types of persons however, and I am sure you know who you are, I am eager to commiserate with you.

No comments: