Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Has the Internet Destroyed My Mind, or Just Exposed It Further?

I do think it may be slowly driving me insane. The patterns of thought and writing, the attitudes, etc, that I developed over the first 27 or 28 years of my life before the Internet existed on a mass scale are not really well suited to the requirements of that medium. In fact I am so distracted, so unable to concentrate on any precise idea or line of thought, so confused in my conviction that the Internet has not made me one whit wiser or better or more interesting as a person while seeming to believe at the same time that perhaps those things, being unmeasurable, no longer matter or have meaning in opposition to IQs, credentials, worldly achievements and income, the substantial qualities of Internet as well as current intellectual culture in general, that I cannot even write a coherent post on the subject.

This is going to be a week of bad, soldiering on types of posts for me. I do not know where my mind is or what has happened to it, but I sincerely hope it comes back before I start writing about girls I saw in drugstores in 1985 and that kind of thing.






No comments: