Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tis Pity She's a Whore II

There isn't a big variety of pictures that correlate with this play. There is nothing related to the author at all, no tourist sites, no movie stills. Just modern theater productions, and I didn't see anything among those that really grabbed me.
IV, ii. 27-8 RICHARDETTO:
"Your chaste and single life shall crown your birth;
Who dies a virgin lives a saint on earth."

My enthusiasm started to grow thin around the last scene of Act IV. I think perhaps this was because what I was taking to be comedy was beginning to be muted, and the trappings of tragedy were beginning to be asserted without my understanding of the characters having been properly prepared to wrestle with what that implied.

V, ii 24-5 SORANZO (the nobleman who was to be Annabella's legal intended):
"Revenge is all the ambition I aspire:
To that I'll climb or fall; my blood's on fire."

These lines drew a laugh.

Most of the characters in this tragedy go to their deaths unrepetant and apparently unconscious of any error or imprudence in the various poor choices they have made. Annabella wavers a little in the end and makes some gestures in the direction of becoming a respectable person but, as she has gotten pregnant just as she is about to be handed off to Soranzo, Giovanni resolves the situation by murdering her (out of excessive love), at which he calls out "Go thou, white in thy soul, to fill a throne/of innocence and sanctity in Heaven." The meaning of this, I take it, is that because there was genuine love between them, that makes it all OK; her soul remains unstained.

V, vi. 43-5; 47-50 GIOVANNI:
"...Father, no.
For nine months' space in secret I enjoy'd
Sweet Annabella's sheets...
Soranzo, thou know'st this; thy paler cheek
Bears the confounding print of thy disgrace,
For her too fruitful womb too soon bewray'd
The happy passage of our stol'n delights..."

All the outrageousness aside, this writer, Ford, had an easy and quite advanced poetic style. Such thoughts as he had did not become confused in a tangle of words and half-baked thoughts and images. It's a good read, especially I think to someone who is younger and unencumbered and to whom getting a grasp on these genres and developments in literary history would still be of use in the rounding of his mind.

I am going on vacation for a week, so if there is anyone who is a regular or semi-regular reader, there probably won't be any new posts until I get back.

No comments: